Tuesday, December 1, 2009

My Gentle Reminder


I know it’s been ages since I last put an entry into my Blog. With the internet connection unavailable in my temporary office, and together with TM telling me that fibre optic cables still not available in my new housing area (I got the CF more than 6 months ago if you can call that new), my ability to access the world wide web facilities had been very scarce these past two months.



I finally have the buzzing of internet broadband at home since yesterday, and life is now back to normal. Two decades ago my life was just fine without the internet, and talking through a fixed line phone still got the job done. Looking back, my life was very much different back then. There was no electricity initially in my Felda house. I grew up having to clean my nose every morning from traces of ‘jelaga’ (carbon deposit) from the kerosene lamps (photo) that illuminated the small space of our living room. From the kerosene lamp we progressively evolved to using gasoline lamp, to car battery, to generator and finally to using the electricity that now comes on at the flick of a switch (potik topi, tongah menyalo). What internet, what mobile phone, what CD/VCD/DVD,MP3/4/5/6.....etc.

And now, without the internet at my fingertips for the past 2 months, my life had become somewhat challenged. I had difficulty to access my email accounts, I found it difficult to pay my bills on-line (had to depend on the kindness of those with mobile broadband), I couldn’t access my Facebook regularly, I couldn’t read on-line newspaper….basically, I had to somehow live without all the convenience that came with easy internet connection. And I couldn’t update my blog obviously. I had this niggling feeling that there was this gap…..at home and at the office. “Where can I get connected….” And all those troubles came because of no easy access to internet. Wow….

So I’m reminding myself, my life is very blessed. Alhamdulillah.

Internet connection…your short absence was a gentle reminder for me to be more thankful for everything good that I’ve been bestowed with. Alhamdulillah.

No comments: