Thursday, January 7, 2010

Happy Birthday to Me


I am turning 39 years old in a few hours. It’s another year that gets me closer to being 40. I have been thinking a lot about this magic number. “Life begins at 40” can be construed in many ways, and guys have many jokes about this which I obviously am not at liberty to disclose in this forum. I don’t think I’m scared of turning 40, and I don’t wish to have a mid-life crisis when the time really comes, knock on wood. I would like the word “reflection” to be the theme of my celebration for this occasion. I would like to reflect on how I’ve lived my life and to reflect on what kind of life I’m living and I would like to reflect on what kind of life I should be having beyond 40.

What should I wish for my birthday this time? I could wish for world peace…hah..hah, too cliché. Since we still don’t have world peace despite many contestants of beauty pageants wishing for it, I don’t think leaving that out of my birthday wishes will make any difference. A good birthday wish for a start must include good food, so where do I wish to go for my birthday dinner? TGI Friday’s seems to be the preferred choice of my family members. Since I’m the gender minority here, I don’t think any argument for the dinner location will go my way…..you know I’m exaggerating but since I’m never too fussy about food, I think I’ll go with the popular choice. What do I wish to get for myself as birthday present? I’ve known what I want for quite a while now, since I began playing golf again a few months ago. My golf set is good, it has to be, as the option of getting a new set is completely out of question, and out of budget. What missing is good Pitching Wedge. So I think I’ll treat myself to this iron club. Oh, how I look forward to not having to rely too much on a Sand Wedge for my short game. Mind you though, I got an “Eagle” with that SW, and it helped me many times to get out of difficult situations involving really tall obstacles. So let’s hope that my game will further improve with the addition of this new club in my golf bag.

My other wish is for my knee to feel better. But I know I must do a bit more work if I were to improve my present condition. I know I need to strengthen my quadriceps and other leg muscles to stand any chance of getting rid of the pain completely. So I’m wishing that I’ll be able to find more time to work out. As of late, I’ve been pretty successful in neglecting the need to exercise. Although I break a sweat when I’m doing rugby coaching and playing golf, these activities really do not meet the minimum requirement for good physical and cardiovascular workout. I hope my other commitments and occasional lack of self-determination will not deter my comeback attempt at exercising more regularly.

So I’ll be 39 shortly. I’m thankful to God, Alhamdulillah, for blessing me with such a wonderful life. I hope and pray that I will continue to be blessed as I embark on a new chapter of my life and I wish for His continued guidance so that I don’t stray from the right path. Amin.

Happy 39th Birthday to me.


At 20 years of age the will reigns; at 30 the wit; and at 40 the judgment.
- Ben Franklin -

4 comments:

Anakmami said...

My dear friend, Happy Birthday... Semoga Allah terus memberkati dan memurahkan rezeki untuk sekeluarga.

Speedy No. 9 said...

Thanks a bunch...Aminnnn

Anonymous said...

Mie.. I think me missing your birthday only greatly emphasized the age issue (ha ha my excuse) so who to say 40 is just a number.. but you hv come a long way though and by my account.. hv turned in a mighty performance so far.. and probably hv taken over the bigger brother position too ..oops you are bigger err taller than me :-) so do look forward to 40 in a year time ya. it is just as sweet as turning 16 or 21.. :-) Abg

Speedy No. 9 said...

Abang, I still have a lot to learn, and having you as one of my idols definitely helps.....thanks for the vote of confidence.