Thursday, July 22, 2010

22 July 2010 - My 10th Wedding Anniversary

 
Prelude

......How can I sum up 3650 days (87,600 hours) of married life in a single blog entry? I can’t possibly do that for there are so many things to mention I wouldn’t know where to begin. The following are simply my thoughts, as I celebrate a great milestone in my married life. It has been a great journey.....and here I am, being married for 10 years and loving it!!!!!!......

My True Love Story

I got married to this beautiful and wonderful girl 10 years ago. It wasn’t love at first sight. We didn’t meet under a fairy tale like circumstances (more like a romantic comedy for lack of a better comparison). The relationship was moving at a record breaking warp speed, and before long we were already planning for the engagement, and within less than a year we were officially husband and wife.

It wasn’t consistent with what I had in mind. It was quite unusual of me really. I previously believed that it would take me some time to get to know a girl, we would have to work at gaining each other’s trust, time would be needed to be comfortable with each other and rushing things would only lead to the path of disaster. Yet, I completely defied those beliefs when I decided to marry her. But, it felt so right. To wait for much longer would be an utter waste when I knew she was the love of my life. Why wait when the answer was right there in front of me. It just didn’t make any sense to wait, I didn’t need more time.

The first sign was the conversation between us. We spoke for hours on the phone and it felt just right. It was ‘synchronised’ in a way, she knew just the right thing to say and when to say it. The talks between us just flowed effortlessly without the feeling that we needed to impress each other. When we met time seemed to fly, things around us didn’t matter as we only had eyes for each other. And leaving her was always hard and the return trip back to Lumut felt very lonely. She always made me feel that I could just be myself around her, and her aura of confidence and astute personalities just had me mesmerised in no time at all. In many ways, she had in her all the elements that I felt were missing in me.

And she was a beautiful girl alright. At that time the phrase probably sounded more like, ‘she was smoking hot!!!!’ She was beautiful when I met her and she still is 10 years later. She is beautiful in her own not so perfect way. And I’m glad this beautiful girl is mine.

My beautiful bride

We were already going steady within 1 month after we first met. At the 5th month point we were engaged and at 10th month mark I sat in front of my father-in-law and recited the akad nikah (wedding vow) as he gave away his youngest daughter to be married to me. I had no doubt she was the right one, and some signs I received from God Almighty through Solat Istikharah were the indisputable confirmation I needed.

With one 'lafaz', we became husband and wife

The rings are symbols of our love for each other

'Berinai' and 'Bersanding' at my wife's side

Cake cutting ceremony in Navy white

After the wedding she gave up her steady job at a prominent bank in KL, and followed me to live in Lumut. It was quite a sacrifice as she had been living with her parents for her entire life prior to marrying me. Lumut was very alien to her but she was very strong and tried her best to fit in. One year after the marriage, I whisked her away to Marseille, France and we lived there for more than 2 years while I was working with the navy helicopter project team. It was the best and the worst period during our marriage. But we managed to pull through, unscratched. And the best part, she got pregnant with my babies 3 months before we returned to Malaysia.

More relax during the wedding ceremony at my family's side one week after the 'akad nikah'

The sword bearer & cake cutting ceremony in full naval tradition during the wedding at my side

With my mother & my late father, they were so proud

We had plenty of time to set the right foundation for this marriage, four years to be exact. We talked a lot, made a lot of plans, worked laboriously on our expectations and came to a compromise in many things. Along the way there were bumps and bruises in the relationship but we eventually worked things out, bringing us closer and making us stronger every time. The twins arrived four years into our marriage. She’s not only my wife, but also the mother to my beautiful daughters. The three of them complete me. Yes, I am truly blessed, Alhamdulillah. I have a beautiful wife whom I love with all my heart and together we have these lovely little angels who bring us joy beyond compare.

At our honeymoon suite - Awana Kijal Terengganu

The key to our marriage I believe is in the fact that ‘we love each other dearly and so happens we are the best of friends’.  I like talking to her, I look forward to seeing her, I like going out with her, I like to hang out with her, I never feel bored around her......... it's always okay as long as we are together. I don’t know if it’s true but I like to believe that there had never been a day in our marriage that we didn’t speak to each other, even when I was away on overseas trips.  Communication as lovers and the best of friends has been vital, and through the thousands of hours spent talking to each other, sharing our thoughts, even arguing and eventually working out our differences, we have hopefully forged a very solid communication foundation between us.

Our marriage has now arrived at the 10th year mark. Looking back I can’t praise God enough for looking after us and for continuing to bless us. We have been through a lot of ups and downs. No matter what, we must always be together as nobody else but us who truly understand what it means to be us. This wonderful woman, Azlin binti Abd Aziz has been my pillar of strength and the arrival of our daughters have only strengthen this family to help us weather the challenges in the years to come.

I can’t describe just how lucky and blessed I feel right now. I just hope and pray that this bond of marriage will continue to prosper, and that we will grow old together as we experience what life has to offer. I hope we will continue our strife to become better Muslims in the true sense and hopefully God will guide is in the righteous path always.

Our 1st and 5th Anniversaries

Our 9th Anniversary - still going strong

So thank you Sayang for being a wonderful wife, thank you my lovely daughters Farhana & Farzana for bringing such joy to us, and Alhamdulillah praise Allah Almighty for blessing us and for making this marriage ‘alive’.

My beloved family

~ Happy 10th Anniversary Sayang, I Love You With All My Heart ~

No comments: