Saturday, January 1, 2011

2011- My perspective


I can’t think of a year that promises to have so many things going on for me, all at the same time. 2011 is just barely into its first day and I am already bracing myself for all the things this year has in store for me. I am very excited while at the same time feeling a little apprehensive with what lies ahead.

These are some of the new phases I’m going to experience in 2011:

~ My children, after spending 3 years in kindergarten, will be starting school in Year 1 both in primary school and Sekolah Agama this Monday. This alone brought in a whole set of new adjustments to my life. My twins are all excited and really looking forward to going to a new school. They adapt to changes so easily compared to us adults.....sigh.

My kids on their Orientation Day

~ My wife has just finished with her studies while I’m starting mine in a week. Being a full time student again after more than 15 years is definitely a drastic change in my routine.

~ Moving house, but not really moving.....and having to stay separately from the family for a year. It’s like living from a suitcase, but in my case, it’s like living from two suitcases, the rented apartment I’m gonna be living in and spending the weekends with the family at a place, while very nice, but we can’t really call it our home.

~ Relinquishing my post as the rugby chairman/coach for Navy Orca. Breaking the news to my players was one of the hardest things I had to do. And not having to worry about them like I do my children or family members will hit me hard in the few months to come. I’m going to miss them, miss being at the field, basically being completely detached from something that has been a big part of my life for the past 4 years is going to be difficult.
The newly designed team logo which I created to rejuvenate the team when I took over 4 years ago


The tense pre-game scene and the adrenaline rush are all part of my rugby memories now

~ Moving from using wifi from a fixed line broadband at home to using wireless broadband. It’s been too convenient with Streamyx but I now hope the wireless access will be good enough and I will be able to capitalise from its mobility.

Speed...speed....have you got enough speed?  I'll soon find out

~ Living in a cosmopolitan city as opposed to enjoying the laid back small town atmosphere. Experiencing the chaotic shopping scene on Christmas day was a rude awakening to what lies ahead. Stuck in a jam enroute to Ikea, stuck again in the long queue at the highway exit, wandering aimlessly in the vast parking zones but not finding a spot easily, stuck again in a long lunch queue, feeling loss in the sea of people who seemed to be unaffected by the frenzy, while I was feeling all claustrophobic. And again last night, trying to enjoy new year with family and relatives......same things again: traffic jam, sea of people and long queues.....and yes, inflated prices......I’ll have to get use to all of these now. Not all bad though, more choices for food and more choices for everything from entertainment to household needs. The pro and cons I guess.......

This is where I'll be for the next 1 year at least

So 2011, welcome! Hope it brings not only changes but also all the prosperity and success to make this world a better place.  InsyaAllah.

No comments: