Friday, January 7, 2011

The Three Faces Of My Daughters

These are the 3 faces of my daughters throughout the day for 5 days in a week. They begin their day bright and early to go to Sekolah Agama, then they have a short break before getting ready for their Primary School. After school, they have about one hour for shower and dinner and off they go for Mengaji Quran. Mengaji finishes at about 8.30pm, and they only have tiny little time then to watch TV, drink their milk formula and finally they go to bed at about 10pm (no need to pester them, physically they know they have to go to sleep). A little less hectic on Tuesday and Friday nights as they have no mengaji session.

Sekolah Agama Year 1

Primary School Year 1

Going for Mengaji Quran

My initial thought was..... that was so darn hectic. But children being children, they adapted fairly quickly and by the fourth day of school, they even reminded us not to come over during recess. I never had any doubt that my kids could hack it with this new routine. I knew it would be much easier for them to settle in, having the luxury of each other’s company in going through the routines. With most of the administrative matters at both schools are pretty much over and done with, they can now concentrate on their studies.

I did not doubt my girls’ ability to cope and they have proven their mettle so far; having fun at school, making new friends, and one of them even got a nice treat from her teacher for producing an exemplary work in class. What worries me is that it seems there’s very little time for them to play during the week. Definitely not after primary school as they arrive at home less than half an hour before sunset. In between schools is the longest free time, and even that’s not exactly free for them to play. I’m not even counting in the eventual homework they have to juggle within the little ‘free’ time they have. Anyway, all is not loss. The new KSSR (Kurikulum Standard Sekolah Rendah) has allocated two periods for Physical Education which is on Monday and Tuesday….so they get to play during these allocated times. I then realise that my kids, as well as the other kids, have the ability to somehow find ‘quality time’ to play despite their chaotic schedules. Children’s instinct!!!! Before school starts, during recess, even in class like comparing the content of their pencil cases, sharing their ‘bekal’ (what they eat during recess) and every little opportunity they can find time for it. That’s really children being children and really knowing what they want, and what their priority is...... to play.



No matter what, these kids know how to find time to play

So I am not going to worry too much. I know they will still find time to play no matter what. However, I still want to try to slot in fun playing time during weekend for them. It’s not all about how many A's they get, it’s not all about how well they do in exams, it’s not all about competing with other students. Those are important things for them, but having quality time to play is equally important as they have demonstrated.

I'm so proud of my angels

An equally proud Mama

Playtime even for a few minutes before going for Mengaji Quran

By the way, as I waited at the waiting area to fetch my kids after school yesterday, I saw a group of school children playing soccer using disposed Solivite bottle.......they had lots of fun. Yup, that’s what being children all about........so let them play.

Don't worry too much, we'll be fine

2 comments:

Anakmami said...

Congrats proud Abah, anak dah masuk sekolah!

Time running so fast then you realised anak dah nak amik SPM dah... I ler tu... :P

Speedy No. 9 said...

Oh my.....sapa yg lebih stress, anak or parents...hahaha. I remember one of your FB comments last year before one of your kids sit for exam. But I saw my kids adjusted so well I'm astonished. Wish my perspective on life is as simple as theirs:) p/s also learning about myself from my childrean behaviour