Friday, June 24, 2011

My Wife’s Great Accomplishment


 The proud moment

Congratulations to my beloved wife.  After 4 long years full of challenges and sacrifice, she has successfully completed her degree in Human Resource Management from the Open University Malaysia (OUM).  When we decided to embark on this journey, we knew it was going to be hard.  Her driving to Ipoh in the early morning on Sunday every 2 weeks, me having to look after our little daughters, her struggle with health on a few occasions that forced her to skip classes, postpone some papers and a couple of final exams, and her many sleepless nights trying to complete papers and assignments are just some examples of the hardship we had to endure during this period.  We even had to face some critiques questioning her rational of pursuing a degree, or the few skeptics who dismissed the credibility of getting an OUM degree.  Well, as the saying goes....."that which does not kill you only make you stronger".  I am glad we did not pay much attention to those naysayers and just kept on going.

  The fruit of her labour....well done Azlin Abd Aziz

Why did she take up the challenge?  Of course I can’t answer on her behalf.  She has her own reasons.  But I did believe from the beginning that the whole journey of acquiring a degree would broaden her horizon and perspective on things.  I always believe the undergraduate experience helps a person to develop a more structured thought process, it helps to develop his/her analytical skill and ultimately enable him/her to approach a problem in a more systematic manner.  I think my wife has shown some of those potentials already.  We did not even think about her getting a job upon completion either.  We decided then to just do it and not worry about whether or not she would seek employment eventually.  I am glad she took up the challenge, and I am pleased to see the much wiser and stronger individual that she has become.

 I hope my little angels are inspired by their Mama's accomplishment

Of course looking back, there are just so many memories.  I acquired some basic cooking skills along the way, only reserved for my family consumption obviously......hahahaha.  The kids loved it, really!  I learned a few valuable knowledge about economy for instance......aggregate demand and aggregate supply, what subsidy does to the shift of equilibrium......so is subsidy good? Now I can form my own opinion, that’s for sure.  She was also so critical about the “appearance” of her paper (I think it was due to her previous experience as a secretary).  The quality of paper, the type of cover, the colour of the ring binder, the spacing of paragraphs, you name it.  She was very meticulous.  Oh, and I think Gardenia has made millions by now from her faithful consumption of Bun Ikan Bilis and the likes during the long lectures at OUM.  Gardenia, I think you should give her a medal for that, serious!!!!  And above all, she has proven to herself especially, that she is capabled of accomplishing great things if she puts her mind to it...... although during some difficult periods she did doubt herself but fortunately at the end she persevered.  And the fact that she managed to conquer her own self-doubt has made her a much stronger person now.

One thing for sure, the whole journey has also strengthened the bond that we share.  I can also appreciate now that being Mama to my kids is not easy, and it has also been proven that I can handle my kids........with lots of guidance and reminders from my wife of course…hahaha.  These are the added bonus that we did not consider earlier on.  For that I am truly grateful. Alhamdulillah. 

 I am so proud of you

So Azlin Abd Aziz, cherish the joy of graduating as you have definitely earned it.  You truly deserve it.  I am so proud of you Sayang!!!  Congratulations!!!

 An incredible day for us all

No comments: