Monday, July 4, 2011

Causes for an ‘Absolutely Normal’ BP Reading


My latest BP reading post-Solat
 
I encountered a little health scare recently.  During my encounter with the back pain incident a few weeks ago (link to the entry here), I also discovered during the admission check at the military clinic that my Blood Pressure (BP) was high.  The staff said that it was probably due to my being in pain and the anxiety I felt from my ordeal.  The Doctor who took my case also observed the high BP but she said in order to be sure I must conduct BP monitoring routine for at least two weeks.

And I did just that.  My father-in-law has a portable BP kit at home so I borrowed his.  So for the past two weeks I’ve been taking my BP at a three times a day interval.  Alhamdulillah, although some of the BP readings were fairly high the first few days during my recovery from the back pain, they have pretty much returned to normal trend now and have consistently remained there.  I have also rejuvenated my enthusiasm to lose weight and exercise more often following the ‘gentle’ reminder about this potential health risk.  With my late father’s long history of having high BP and my mother currently under medication for the same problem, I must consider myself being in a high risk category due to hereditary reason at least.  So less food intake, less fatty and oily food, more vegetables and fruit.  I am also adding a new routine of taking apple cider twice a day to add to my already established habit of taking Quaker oat in the morning.  Good stuff this apple cider I tell you….. if you can stand the smell and taste that is.

The most enlightening discovery from doing this BP monitoring has been on how my BP can actually dip to the ‘absolutely normal’ zone due to two activities.  We are talking 108/68 here folks with my record lowest being 104/64.  That’s my systolic/diastolic readings, just Google it to find out what they mean. 

Predictably, one occasion when my BP regularly drops is after an exercise.  I usually take my reading a little over an hour after coming back from an exercise.  That’s done normally after completing my warm-down routine, a short 10 minute session of putting ice pack on my knees to reduce pain and swelling (I’m a PCL surgery survivor and experiencing early ‘osteoarthritis’ so swelling and pain are my loyal companion now), followed by shower and light dinner.  So far, although my heart beat is still between 80-95, the BP reading has been a nice one to look at.  Yeah!!!

The most surprising discovery however is how both my BP and heart beat can go down to the ‘absolutely normal’ zone shortly after..........performing solat.  Initially I thought it was a coincidence but it has happened quite a few times now (those few times that solat didn’t have the same effects were probably due to my own less than khusyuk state while doing it).  My yet again another encounter with absolutely normal BP reading post-solat just now has convinced me that praying to the Almighty has led to this incredible effect.  I know I don’t have the scientific proof to show it (must do it in a controlled environment, must also have means to rule out the other probable influencing elements ie food, rest, pressure, must get it published and verified etc. etc.) but I’m absolutely convinced nonetheless.

There are new things to be learned every day.  And for that I am thankful.  Alhamdulillah.

No comments: