Saturday, February 20, 2010

Eyes don’t lie (Rugby tip 101)


I like to motivate my players. I talk a lot during their ‘shadow run’ (unopposed game simulation) to drive them to push themselves. There are 3 categories of players I see here; those who always give 110%, those who only give 110% when they see me watching & those who give less than 100% no matter what I do. My talk as a coach always comprises two elements; technical aspect and the motivational aspect of the game.

I like to think that as a whole my players do respond to my talk as a coach. They way they play in a match, their hunger for success and they way they execute my game plan.......it’s one of the best feeling in the world.

However, there are some tell tale signs that I look for as a part of my health check on the team. One of the most effective tools is to glance into the players’ eyes. People say that the eyes are the "window to the soul” and I truly believe that. I can normally sense when my players are “not there” or when they are distracted. I use this gazing in the eyes technique when I arrive at the pitch before any match. I know my players are ready when their eyes don’t wander much. When they are in the zone, their eyes are focused and look intense. I can just see it through their eyes. Even during a match, I can normally detect when they underestimate their opponents, or when their minds are not fully in the game. Their eyes will tell me right away. Then you’ll see me screaming on the sideline reminding them and come half time, they’ll sure dread what I have to say to sort things out.

Some players have reached a stage they’d never dreamt of accomplishing. Some players have gone from being a permanent fixture on the side line to being almost indispensable. The look in these players’ eyes is my reward. Their passion and determination are honestly reflected in their eyes. Three years on, and I’m still motivated. I have many reasons to quit, but I’m still here. Players come and go, and I’m still here. Yes, I still see fire burning in my players’ eyes......I have everything I need and I have all the reasons to stay.

The eyes don’t lie.....believe me.

No comments: